2024 Rules and Guidelines
All submissions must adhere to the 2024 BlueCat Screenplay Competition Rules & Guidelines.
- Every script submission will receive a complimentary written analysis.
- The Grand Prize Winner will receive $7500. All scripts submitted (Features, Pilots and Shorts) are eligible.
- The Feature Screenplay Winner will receive $3,000.
- The Pilot Script Winner will receive $3,000.
- The Short Script Winner will receive $3,000.
- The Fellini Award will be awarded to the Best Screenplay from any category (Feature, Pilots or Short) of the 2024 Competition written by a screenwriter residing outside the USA and will receive $2000.
- All cash prizes will be disbursed 30 days after the winners are announced.
- All submissions must be original, and the sole property of the applicant(s).
- All ages are eligible.
- Must be in English.
- Feature screenplays must be between 65-125 pages in length.
- Pilot scripts must be between 20-75 pages.
- Short screenplays must be between 1-29 pages in length.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- You may submit a script once. You may not submit the same script more than once.
- All script entries must be uploaded in PDF format.
- Under absolutely no circumstances will substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entry script(s) be made. Scripts will not be returned.
- If a submitted script becomes optioned, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period, that script will no longer be eligible
- Competition judges, readers and employees of the BlueCat Screenplay Competition, past and present, and their immediate friends and families are not eligible to enter.
- Previous winners of the BlueCat Screenplay Competition are not eligible.
- Scripts, including outlines, treatments, pitches, log lines or any developmental material related to the script, that has previously won any contest, competition, grant, lab, fellowship, mentorship, reading or award of any kind, are not eligible.
- Screenplays that have been submitted to any competition or contest prior to December 13th, 2020 are not eligible.
- Past and present scripts consulted on through Gordy Hoffman’s screenplay consultation service or the BlueCat workshops are not eligible.
- Past USC and UCLA students of Gordy Hoffman are not eligible.
Your script is eligible for resubmission. Resubmission allows you to revise your script and resubmit it to BlueCat.
- Each entry is considered a stand-alone submission. Your resubmitted script will not replace your original entry.
- Resubmissions will receive script analysis.
- Entrants can select a previous reader, a new reader or no preference. If your previous reader is no longer available, you can request a new reader or a refund.
- Each script may be resubmitted twice.
- Script titles cannot be changed upon resubmission. The author(s) must meet all eligibility requirements.
- Resubmissions will open after the first analyses are sent—-all entrants will be notified.
Screenplay Analysis Schedule
- All analysis provided to the entrants is complimentary.
- All submissions submitted by July 9th, 2023 will receive their written analysis by August 8th, 2023.
- All submissions submitted by August 13th, 2023 will receive their written analysis by September 12th, 2023.
- All submissions submitted by September 17th, 2023 will receive their written analysis by October 24th, 2023.
- All submissions submitted by October 29th, 2023 will receive their written analysis by December 5th, 2023.
- All submissions submitted by December 10th, 2023 will receive their written analysis by February 13th, 2024.
- All resubmissions submitted by February 18th, 2024 will receive their written analysis by March 19th, 2024.
Submission Deadlines and Fees
- Opening Deadline: July 9th, 2023. Feature $65, Pilot $50, Short $30.
- Early Deadline: August 13th, 2023. Feature $75, Pilot $60, Short $40.
- Regular Deadline: September 17th, 2023. Feature $85, Pilot $70, Short $50.
- Final Deadline: October 29th, 2023. Feature Screenplay $90, Pilot $75, Short $50.
- Late Deadline: December 10th, 2023. Feature $95, Pilot $80, Short $50.
- Resubmission Fee by December 10th, 2023. Feature $65, Pilot $50, Short $30.
- Resubmission Fee by February 18th, 2024. Feature $80, Pilot $65, Short $45.
- Resubmission Deadline is February 18th, 2024.
Competition Results Announcement Schedule
- Quarter-Finalists for each category will be announced on March 26th, 2024.
- Semi-Finalists for each category will be announced on April 9th, 2024.
- Finalists will be announced on April 30th, 2024.
- Winners will be announced on May 14th, 2024.
The BlueCat Newsletter
Every week, we send out a newsletter filled with screenwriting-related content: blogs, interviews, articles, script downloads, videos, tips and more.
Please sign up and join our community of writers today!